Thank you to everyone who attended the 2017 Community Impact Awards!
To view photos from the event, click here.
To read the 2017 Community Impact Awards feature, click here.
To view the full March 2017 issue, click here.
For details about last year's event and a full list of finalists, click here.
About the Event
The 2017 Community Impact Awards honored businesses, social enterprise organizations, nonprofits, initiatives and individuals making a significant impact on communities in Minnesota. This was our first time recognizing nonprofit organizations in the awards, in honor of their profound influence on the quality of life in our state.
2017 Community Impact Award Finalists
Best in Class: Small Company
Bankers Title and Bankers Closing Services
Love Your Melon
Best in Class: Midsize Company
Best in Class: Large Company
Lakewinds Food Co-op
Arts and Culture Award
Hennepin Theatre Trust
Nonprofit Board Member of the Year Award
Annie Hotop, Secretary, Laura Jeffrey Academy Board
Julie Peterson Klein, President, Spare Key
Patty Murphy, Board Member, MacPhail Center for Music
Nonprofit Spotlight Award
College Possible Minnesota
Companies to Classrooms
Youth Initiative Award
Hennepin Elementary School (HES)
Hiway Federal Credit Union
Pro Bono Maximus Award
Mytech Partners, Inc.
Social Enterprise Award
Appetite For Change
GYST Fermentation Bar
Lakewinds Food Co-op
Workplace Giving Award
Paragon of Leadership Award
Andrew Eklund, Co-Founder and CEO, Ciceron
Brian Myres, COO at DAYTA Marketing
Kim Brown, President, JNBA Financial Advisors
Teresa Daly, CEO and Co-Founder, Navigate Forward, Inc.
How are finalists chosen?
Each nomination process consists of a 3 month period where nominations are solicited and submitted through the Minnesota Business web portal. Once nominations close, they are collected and distributed to an internal review team. The internal review team is responsible for narrowing down the nominations in each category to the top five. These top five are then submitted to an external judging panel, which consists of industry experts across all professional platforms. Judges rank their top three in each category. Based on the rankings, Minnesota Business calculates the scores and solidifies the winner and two finalists to announce. Finalists are notified by email from our Editor in Chief, Steve LeBeau, and winners are announced at the awards gala.
- Marcia Ballinger, PhD, Principal, Co-Founder, Ballinger | Leafblad
- Kate Grathwol, PhD, President/CEO, Vision Loss Resources
- Mary Hamel, Executive Director, Metro Independent Business Alliance
- Beth Johnson, Marketing Director, Schechter Dokken Kanter
- Ryan Lee Anderson, Principal, Belay Energy
- Luis Moreno, Co-Founder, Board Member, Twin Cities Business Peer Network and VP, Marketing, Power Markets
- Sheila Murphy, HR Director, Midwest Industrial Tool Grinding, Inc.
- Danielle Steer, Manager, Impact Hub MSP
- La Juana Whitmore, Business consultant, MEDA
- Diane Yohn, COO, North Star Resource Group
- Sunrise Banks Judging Team:
- Jeanette Geisbauer, Marketing Manager
- Rebecca Morris Hoeft, Director of Marketing and Communications
- Ashley Cooper, Senior Visual Designer
- Mikaila Dahlseng, Fellow, Social Responsibility