The (Real) Power 50
Update: Thank you to everyone for attending!
— To see the photos from the event, click here.
— To view The (Real) Power 50 feature article online, click here.
— To read or print The (Real) Power 50 article from our digital edition, click here. (Note: choose "print" in the top left corner.)
— To watch videos featured at the event, check out "Interviews" and "Slideshow."
— To watch the recap video, check out this video.
What: We describe The (Real) Power 50 as the linchpins in their company. The connectors in their industry. The heart of the operation. The ones who make things happen. These awards recognize them.
We showcased the RP50 in an April 25 event (more like a party, really) and in a feature article in our May 2013 issue. We believe this issue will be the kind that people keep on their desk for years to come. The kind that has Post-it notes littering dog-eared, coffee-stained pages. The kind that colleagues can only borrow, not keep. After all, it will list 50 of the most important people to know if you wish to conduct business in the state of Minnesota.
Criteria: How did we decide who should be on the list? We took a somewhat unorthodox approach, but it’s one that we feel resulted in a truly remarkable collection of individuals (see below). First, we selected some of the most impressive people we know to be nominators, asking them to suggest three people who have impressed them in the past year or so. We then thoroughly evaluated each nominee and, after careful consideration, chose one of them. Next, we asked the nominator to put into words what qualities their nominee possesses that impress them so much.
Here's the trick: The nominators themselves are already the types who belong on such lists. In turn, the RP50 impressed not only them, but our editorial team as well. (At the back of the article, we’ll have a page or two listing the nominators, also indicating who they chose. And they, too, will be invited to the event.) So, really, we've identified 100 people you really ought to know for doing business in Minnesota. And on April 25, you can mingle with them.
When: Thursday, April 25
6 p.m. — Hosted cocktail reception
7 p.m. — Three Course Dinner with wine service & awards presentation
Where: The Westin Edina Galleria
Tweet all about it: The hashtag for this event is #mnbizpower50
Short URL: http://bit.ly/mnbizRP50. Find us on Twitter: @mnbizmag
Emcee: John Cosgrove
John immigrated to the Twin Cities from his native Northern Ireland in 1999. Starting his new life alongside legendary pub (and now whiskey) mogul, Kieran Folliard, John stepped out on his own in 2006 with an event services business.
John’s experience as a presenter, emcee and facilitator is as diverse as it is wide. He has hosted over 300 corporate events for many Fortune 500 companies including Google, Microsoft, Boston Scientific, General Mills and Thrivent; using his trivia program where the task of keeping all attendees engaged and interactive has always been met. He has also hosted many live events and festivals and awards shows both locally in the Twin Cities and nationwide as his reputation continues to grow.
In addition, John has created a number of software applications that help facilitate more engaging audience participation; that can be measured. John brings a high level of energy and dynamism to any event that combines sharp articulation, a keen sense of humor delivered with that renowned Irish charisma and lilt.
The (Real) Power 50 list
- Jennifer Alstad | President and Co-Founder | bswing
- Nancy Anderson |Senior Vice President and Private Client Advisor | U.S. Trust
- Meghan AuBuchon | Director of Marketing Communications | PeopleNet
- Fred Badiyan | Owner | Badiyan Productions
- Rick Beeson | Executive Vice President, Director — Corporate Development & Government Relations | Sunrise Banks
- Tom Boerboom | President and COO | Welcov Health Care
- Andrew Borene | Director of Corporate Development & Global Government Relations | ReconRobotics
- Pam Borton | Co-Founder | TeamWomenMN
- Scott Burns | CEO and Co-Founder | GovDelivery
- Lynn Casey | Chair and CEO | Padilla Speer Beardsley
- Mike Derheim | CEO and Co-President | The Nerdery
- Louise Dickmeyer | President | People Driven Performance
- Cem Erdem | CEO and President | Augusoft
- Randy Feld | Partner | Boyum & Barenscheer
- Irene Fernando | Co-Executive Director | Students Today Leaders Forever
- Nena Fox | Founder and CEO | Global Robotics Innovation Park
- Greg Frandsen | President and CEO | Industrial Netting
- Janel Goff | Managing Director | The Goff Investment Group
- Lisa Grimm | Director of Public Relations and Emerging Media | space150
- Daniel Gumnit | CEO | People Serving People
- Jason Hammerberg | Founder and CEO | Hammer Made
- Jay Hammond | President | Highland Bank
- Justin Hanratty | President | Hanratty & Associates
- Eric Hawkinson | Director of Business Development | CBIZ MHM
- Mike Hedstrom | President | BJ Transport
- Louie Jambois | President | Saint Paul Port Authority
- Michael Lacey | Founder and CEO | Digineer
- Michael Landstad | Senior Property Manager | Duke Realty Corporation
- Kelly Larson | Chief Financial Officer | Summit Brewing Company
- Lars Leafblad | Head of Leadership | Bush Foundation
- Beth Leonard | Managing Partner | Lurie Besikof Lapidus & Company
- Joy Lindsay | President and Co-Founder | StarTec Investments
- Dan Mallin | Managing Partner | Magnet 360
- Scott Mayer | Owner | Mayer
- Erich Mische | Executive Director | Spare Key
- Dave Mona | Chairman and Co-Founder | Weber Shandwick–Minneapolis
- David Moran | Shareholder | Winthrop & Weinstine
- Kari Niedfeldt-Thomas | Manager, Social Responsibility | The Mosaic Company
- Tami Paulsen | Secretary/Treasurer and Director of Business | Paulsen Architects
- Bill Popp | Chair and President | Popp Communications
- Ted Risdall | Chairman and President | Risdall Marketing Group
- Philomena Morrissey Satre | Vice President, Diversity-Inclusion, Mountain Midwest Region | Wells Fargo
- Lucy Swift | Vice President, Minnesota Productions & Partnerships | Twin Cities Public Television
- David Valentini | Attorney | Valentini Law
- Brian Wachtler | President and Partner | Haberman
- Jeffrey Weness | Senior Director of Corporate Development | Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota
- Joyce Wisdom | Executive Director | Lake Street Council
- John Wooden | Owner | River Valley Power & Sport
- Michael Zenk | President | Venture Bank
- Harvey Zuckman | CFO and Principal | FirstTech
Thank you to our Presenting Sponsor: