Minnesota’s Heath Care Leaders Celebrated at New Event
MINNEAPOLIS -- Sept. 24, 2012 -- The first annual Minnesota Business Magazine Leaders in Health Care Awards event was successfully held on the evening of Monday, Sept. 24 at TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis. Attended by some of the most respected health care professionals in the state, the event celebrated outstanding achievements in the health care industry in the state of Minnesota.
Providing the event’s inspirational keynote speech was Sona Mehring, the founder and CEO of Eagan, Minn.-based CaringBridge, a nonprofit organization that offers free, personalized web pages for friends and family members of patients to give and receive support and information.
A number of winners in various categories were announced at the event. See below for the full results, more on the finalists, and to learn about the panel of judges.
The event was hosted by Minnesota Business Magazine, a leading business publication based in Minneapolis long noted for its coverage of the state’s health care sector. The magazine is published by Tiger Oak Publications, also based in Minneapolis.
Stefani Pennaz, the magazine’s publisher, served as emcee for the evening, opening her remarks by revealing how CaringBridge had affected her own life.
Sponsoring the event were the benefits consulting firm Hanratty & Associates the communications technology provider Comcast Business Services.
Those wishing to learn more about this year’s proceedings (or wanting to participate in next year’s) should contact Dahlia Brue, the events coordinator at Tiger Oak Publications, at:
Outstanding Health Care Executives
- [Winner] Penny Wheeler, M.D. - Allina Health
- Phillip Kibort, M.D. - Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota
- John Romans, M.B.A. - Biomedix
Outstanding Achievements in Medical Devices
- [Winner] Dale Spencer - Formerly of SciMed and ev3
- Tony Rubin - Surgical Science
- Kai Worrell - Worrell Design
Employer Achievements in Developing Wellness Programs
Outstanding Health Care Professionals
- [Winner] Patrick McGann, DDS - HealthPartners Dental
- Y. Ralph Chu, M.D. - Chu Vision Institute
- Carol Kraft - Select Account Inc.
Outstanding Achievements in Community Outreach
- [Winner] Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota
- PrairieCare Hospitals and Clinics
Lifetime Achievement Awards
- [Winner] Carl Platou - Fairview Health Services (recently deceased)
- William Austin - Starkey Hearing Technologies
- Thomas Reek - Cuyuna Regional Medical Center
PANEL OF JUDGES:
Wendy Burt - Vice President of Communications & Public Relations, Minnesota Hospital Association
Nancy Longley - Vice President of Health Care Division, Weber Shandwick
Dee Thibodeau - President, Charter Solutions
Dale Wahlstrom - President and CEO, LifeScience Alley
Andrew Wittenborg - Director of Communications, Minnesota High Tech Association