Note: This position has been filled. Thank you to everyone who applied.
Minnesota Business magazine is looking for a new art director. Last year it won seven excellence awards from the Minnesota Magazine Publishing Association, including "Gold, Feature Design," "Gold, Single Page or Spread Design," and "Gold, Overall Excellence." Spread the word on social media! This is a huge opportunity for some talented designer out there. The job description follows. Thanks!
Tiger Oak Media
The Art Director position is responsible for overall design and feel of Minnesota Business
magazine. This position is part of a dynamic team leading the charge in creating a fresh new
design for the magazine and its digital properties.
• Meet with editors monthly to plan art for Minnesota Business magazine
• Complete pre-pagination and supervise map changes
• Complete monthly photo assignments for staff photographers
• Research new creative concepts for feature stories
• Meet with photographers to discuss feature stories and covers
• Scout possible locations and pick up props for photo shoots
• Coordinate feature and cover photo shoots with subjects
• Supervise and art direct cover and feature photo shoots with photographers
• Design all page layouts for Minnesota Business
• Place all Minnesota Business ads
• Complete preflight and pre-press checklist for two magazine titles
• Make final PDFs and upload files to the printer and digital media
• Design house ad templates and event collateral to include video and PowerPoint as needed
• Work with Managing Editor/Group Publisher/Production to plan annual production timetables
• Lead any and all redesign initiatives/style updates
• Assist with special design projects and custom publications as needed
• Ability to think both strategically (big picture) and independently (project-to-project)
• A creative eye and ability to think outside of the box
• Self-motivated and self-starter, solution-oriented
• An objectivity and flexibility coupled with the ability to make quick decisions as needed
• Excellent communication skills with both magazine subjects and internal staff
• Must be detail-oriented and able to juggle multiple tasks in a fast-pace, deadline-driven
• Background in graphic design required, preferably 6+ years’ experience in a design field
• Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat)
• Experience with magazine art direction
Submit resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to Tamara Prato.